VICTIM/ SURVIVOR CENTRED ASSISTANCE
In December 2019, the UN High Level Steering Group endorsed the United Nations Protocol on the Provision of Assistance to Victims of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (“the Protocol”) (FR, SP, AR). The Protocol outlines a common set of norms and standards based on existing frameworks to strengthen a coordinated, system-wide approach to the provision of assistance and support, which prioritizes the rights and dignity of victims of sexual exploitation and abuse. This approach is aligned with broader United Nations efforts to prevent and respond to sexual exploitation and abuse and takes into account established good practices to address gender-based violence. It also supports the IASC priority to scale up survivor-centred assistance as part of its overall strategy on PSEA.
To support the roll out of the Protocol, UNICEF led the development of a technical note that provides guidance to support the Special Representatives of the Secretary General, Resident and Humanitarian Coordinators, the United Nations Country Teams and the Humanitarian Country Teams, PSEA coordinators and networks, PSEA focal points, gender-based violence and child protection sub-cluster coordinators, specialists and practitioners from other sectors in the area of victim assistance for women and children. The note is an inter-agency product that was developed with a technical reference group that included O/VRA, CDS/DMSPC, UNHCR, UNFPA, IOM and the IASC.
About the Technical Note:
- This Technical Note is aligned with United Nations efforts to prevent and respond to sexual exploitation and abuse, as well as established inter-agency gender-based violence and child protection standards and guidance, and can be considered in all operational contexts, including in humanitarian, development and UN peace operations. It is also aligned with the IASC priority on PSEA to scale up survivor-centered assistance, as outlined in the IASC PSEA Strategy and Acceleration Plan.
- To track progress on the roll-out of the Protocol by HCs/HCTs and inter-agency PSEA coordinators and networks, indicators are integrated into the IASC PSEA global dashboard, which inter-agency PSEA coordinators in humanitarian response contexts are reporting against.
- The technical note is currently available in English, French and Arabic (see supporting files below). Spanish and Portuguese translations of the Technical Note are coming soon.
- The note is being rolled out alongside a training package, which UNICEF is rolling out for HC/HCTs and inter-agency PSEA networks and coordinators. To date, over 500 PSEA, GBV, and CP practitioners have received a briefing or a full training, and the requests for support are accelerating.
- Global level Training of Trainers are planned for inter-agency stakeholders to share responsibility and accelerate roll-out across all entities.
- The training is available in English, French, Spanish, Arabic and Portuguese.
- For more information about the training, please see the training flyer.